Although the coronavirus lockdown means that we are currently unable to welcome visitors on site for educational tours and Open Events, we’re still doing all we can to share our work with you during this time.
Nikolaus Muldal, Emily Cooper and Ella Ashdown from the Communications Team at Culham have been working hard to think of new ways we can connect with people and support students in their learning.
- Find out more about fusion energy and the research that goes on at UKAEA to bring the Sun to Earth, in our weekly Zoom webinars. So far, we’ve had talks on the path to fusion energy, the career journey of a fusion engineer, and the history of fusion research. Tune in every Wednesday at 1.30pm (BST) to see the webinars; you can find details at our social media pages:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UKAEAofficial
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/UKAEAofficial
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/ukaeaofficial/
- Recordings are available if you miss the live webinar; see our YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/user/CulhamFusionEnergy
- Working closely with school teachers and university course leaders, we have been developing new virtual outreach sessions where UKAEA staff talk with groups of students studying sciences in secondary school or related university degrees. Students are getting the opportunity to hear all about what fusion is and get insights into the breadth of UKAEA’s work, from core physics to remote engineering, to achieve our goal of fusion power. In these sessions, they are also having opportunities to ask our scientists and engineers all about life as a researcher at Culham and what sparked their own interests leading to a career in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and how to arrange a virtual education session for your school or university group.
- View a tour of the world’s largest fusion experiment, the Joint European Torus (JET), which is hosted at Culham Centre for Fusion Energy for scientists from all over Europe. On our Facebook Videos Page you can find our JET Mini Tour in six short videos, led by Leah Morgan, a physicist at JET: https://www.facebook.com/UKAEAofficial/videos/
We look forward to restarting our education and outreach programme at Culham when it is safe to do so. Please see the Visit CCFE page for the latest information. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy our virtual activities!