Windows Systems Team Leader
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
Who are we looking for?
If you are an experienced Windows Systems Team Leader with excellent leadership, communication, and influencing skills, we are keen to hear from you. We are seeking someone with expert knowledge of Microsoft Applications, Systems and Services to provide strategic direction and leadership for the Windows Admin Section and the Microsoft based services at UKAEA. You will have excellent technical skills and will have a passion for solving challenging problems in collaboration with multi-disciplined teams.
You will be responsible for providing long-term technical solutions for Office-based and research data IT as well as managing the Windows System Administration section. You will ensure that the day-to-day running of the Windows based IT systems and associated storage systems are properly managed and controlled.
What will you be responsible for?
- Developing and maintaining a strategic vision for Microsoft Windows systems architecture across UKAEA
- Planning, developing, implementing, managing and supporting a site-wide Window systems and services` architecture that ensures resiliency and high-availability
- Researching and recommending best practice usage of Microsoft based systems and tools, including future scanning and evaluating new approaches and recommending the best time to adopt new ways of working.
- Working with stakeholders across the organisation to develop guidelines, support information and training for users on how to best utilise new Microsoft tools
- Researching and recommending innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Extensive experience and up to date knowledge of Microsoft systems, tools and architectures (preferably MCSE)
- In-depth knowledge of current techniques and trends in Microsoft systems and services and IT in general (e.g. Cloud computing, Office 365, ZeroTrust)
- In-depth knowledge of Azure (e.g. certified Azure Administrator or Azure Solutions Architect)
- In-depth knowledge of Windows OS including W7, W10, Server 2008, 2012 & 2016
- Previous experience of managing tasks and work of others in the team
- Interpersonal and communication skills, as well as the ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative manner
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft file systems, file servers and virtualized storage, including NTFS, ReFS, Azure File Sync
- Good knowledge of SharePoint
- Experience with software engineering processes and best practises.
- Understanding of data networking
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Partner, with the support of our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10 minute walk from Culham Railway Station.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 26th April 2021 . We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.