By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a self-organised and collaborative Technical Author / writer with a broad range of coordination and technical writing skills to author and edit a range of technical documentation in collaboration with equipment experts. You will ensure that documents are of sufficient standards in line with quality assurance, in the correct format and with the right information to enable shift technicians to successfully follow the procedures. You will join a dynamic team at H3AT (Hydrogen-3 Advanced Technology) which is a world-first Tritium Research Centre, pioneering the fuels that will supply future fusion reactors.
What will you be responsible for?
- Acquire and use technical insight into operations to add value to documentation provided by responsible officers
- Manage and improve the document review and approval processes
- Administer, improve and minute regular section and Authority to Operate Holder (ATO-H) meetings as required
- Strive for continual improvement to documentation process by suggesting and implementing improvements to the software based system
- Develop, administer and implement processes for more efficient task management within the section
- Manipulate technical data using Microsoft Excel
- Part of the role will be to write promotional documentation, brochures, technical material to promote the group.
- Take ownership of the group’s operating instructions library and ensure integrity of records and compliance with ISO-9001 as well as local rules.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Previous demonstrable experience in a technical author / writer role
- Worked in a quality driven environment utilising a technical control system, for example a regulated industry
- Ability to work in a team
- HNC/HND, City and Guilds, or equivalent, in an IT or business discipline.
- MS Excel, Word & Adobe PDF– intermediate to advanced user (Styles, Cross reference, Caption)
- Demonstrable technical document writing experience
- Excellent written and verbal skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of structured writing practices
- Ability to prioritise work and work under pressure
- Understanding of project management processes
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Experience in the operation of a process plant handling radioactive materials, including procedural and safety requirements
- Familiarity with science / engineering environments
- Experience in large facility operations
- Experience in MS Project
- Understanding of Simplified Technical English (STE)
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Partner, with the support of our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10 minute walk from Culham Railway Station.
Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.