Control Systems Software Engineer
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
Who are we looking for?
RACE is seeking enthusiastic control systems software engineers with advanced knowledge and abilities. You will be responsible for supporting projects with expertise in mechatronic control systems, producing designs for robotic remote handling systems and working on the design and execution of research projects relating to robotics and autonomy. With a focus on developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations, this role will support the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
International travel to customer`s and collaborator`s sites may be required
What will you be responsible for?
The main responsibilities of the role will be producing software for robotic remote handling and related systems and working on the design and execution of advanced research projects. This will include:
- Specification, design, and implementation of software for robotic systems.
- Specification, design, and implementation of graphical user interface software
- Procurement of control systems modules and services.
- Specification of control interfaces to remote handling devices.
- Integrating and commissioning systems.
- Supporting other engineers and managers with control issues.
- Representing RACE with customers and collaborators.
- Acting as sole or primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise.
- Routinely performing business development activities including networking and writing bids.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Master`s degree in Control Engineering or a related subject.
- Some working experience in relevant engineering
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to function as part of a team.
- An excellent working knowledge of English.
- Machine learning and Computer Vision experience
- Experience with Object Oriented Design
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Strong programming capability in C++
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control, documentation.
- Experience of design and practical implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
- Experience of designing control systems for servo-actuator systems
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and optimisation of servo systems
- Experience with network-based communications, E.g. TCP, UDP, DDS
- Experience working with mobile robotics
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Professional registration
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Partner, with the support of our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10 minute walk from Culham Railway Station.
Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.